- Website: laurieandmaryjane.com
Asparagus and Microgreens Salad by Laurie + MaryJane
For those of you who laughed your way through “Arrested Development,” rejoice in “National Dance Like a Chicken Day,” on May 14. May is a magical month. Flowers, birds, asparagus … spring has arrived. And my cannabis clones have just gone in the ground. Huzzah! When you can, eat foods that are seasonal and grown locally; eat more plants and less meat. I think of meat as a side now — it’s no longer the focus of my plate. And I feel better. Live a sustainable life and show the earth you care!
Shaved Asparagus and Microgreens Salad
-½ lb. large asparagus, tough stems snapped off
-5 tbs. canna-grette*
-4 oz. microgreens
-Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Using a vegetable peeler, shave all the asparagus. Place in a bowl. Toss with the dressing.
2. Add the microgreens to the asparagus, salt and pepper and gently toss to combine.
Makes 1 cup
-1/3 c. white wine vinegar
-1 small shallot finely chopped
-1 tbs. sesame seeds, lightly toasted*
-2 tsp. Dijon mustard
-½ tsp. sea salt
-½ c. olive oil
-¼ c. canna-oil
1. In a large bowl combine the vinegar, shallot, sesame seeds, mustard and salt.
2. Whisk in the oil. Place in a jar for storage. Shake before using.
*I heat the sesame seeds in a small non-stick pan. Over low heat they will be toasted in two to three minutes. Stir frequently while cooking.