Years and years ago, during cooking school, I worked for Ina Garten (“The Barefoot Contessa”) on a bunch of catering events in East Hampton, New York. For those of you not familiar with that part of the world, it’s pretty divine, save the traffic and houses that can rent for $300,000 dollars for a summer month or two.
It’s there, under The Barefoot Contessa’s watchful eye, where I learned to make these Chocolate Biscotti. The addition of cannabis and a bit of espresso powder make these the best biscotti I’ve ever tasted. Perfect for Valentine’s Day, the biggest chocolate celebration of the year!
Yields: 30 pieces, 2 per serving
Prep time:10 minutes
Bake time:1 hour
2 cups white all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons espresso powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
6 tablespoons canna-butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces chocolate chips
2 ounces chopped dates
1 ounce pecans, chopped
- Heat oven to 340º
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt.
- In an electric mixer, beat the canna-butter with the sugar and the eggs for two minutes; Add the vanilla; Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine
- Add chocolate, dates and pecans to the dough and mix well.
- Divide into three pieces and roll each piece into a six-inch log. Place a sheet of parchment on a baking sheet. Place the three logs of dough on the baking sheet. Flatten a bit. Bake for 28 minutes. Allow to cool.
- When cool, carefully cut the rolls on the diagonal into ½ inch slices.
- Lower oven to 325°
- Bake the individual slices on parchment paper for six minutes per side.
- If you want to make them a little more special, dip the biscotti slices halfway into melted chocolate. Allow to set.
For more of Laurie and Maryjane, visit: laurieandmaryjane.com