- Website: laurieandmaryjane.com
These artful cookies taste amazing, with hints of vanilla and orange and a perfect texture that melts in your mouth. A simple confectioners’ sugar-and-milk glaze tops the cookies, tinted with your choice of colors. And now, a little confession: I rarely cook or bake while stoned. That said, decorating these cookies while under the influence is a blast. Drizzle, dot, spray or paint — there’s no need to stay in the lines. Staying in the lines is not how we roll. Enjoy and #Don’tFearTheEdible!
Yields about 30 cookies
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup canna-butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 340º F.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy — about five minutes. Beat in the extract, egg and zest.
- In another bowl combine the baking powder, salt and flour. Whisk to blend.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. The dough will be pretty stiff.
- In portions, roll the dough on a floured working surface to somewhere between ¼ and 1/8-inch thickness. Using a spatula, place cookies on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for five to seven minutes; they should be light golden brown. Allow to cool thoroughly before frosting.
1½ cups powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the sugar, milk and vanilla and stir until smooth in a small bowl. If too thick, add more milk; too thin, add more sugar. The icing should be free of lumps.
- Divide the icing between as many bowls and icing colors you want, leaving enough white to place a light coat on each cookie.
- Add a drop or two of color to each of the bowls (except the white).
- Using a small spoon, cover each cookie with a teaspoon or two of the white icing. The back of the spoon works well for spreading. Allow to set for 30 minutes, or chill in the fridge.
- Drizzle the cookies in whatever style you like. Allow to set before eating.